● Bachelor of Education (Secondary)/Bachelor of Arts (Design Innovation and Technologies):
● Graduate Diploma in Design and Technologies Education
● Master of Teaching (Secondary)
● Bachelor Of Arts/Bachelor Of Teaching (Secondary)
● Master of Teaching (Secondary)
● Bachelor of Education (Secondary) – Industry Entry
● Bachelor of Education (Secondary): https://www.newcastle.edu.au/degrees/bachelor-of-education-secondary/what-you-will-study/majors/design-technologies
● Bachelor of Technology/Bachelor of Education (Secondary): https://www.scu.edu.au/study-at-scu/courses/bachelor-of-technology-bachelor-of-education-secondary-3207322/
● Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Education (Secondary): https://www.scu.edu.au/study-at-scu/courses/bachelor-of-arts-bachelor-of-education-secondary-3207311/2020/
● Teaching and Education Courses: https://www.westernsydney.edu.au/future/study/courses/teaching-and-education-courses.html
● Bachelor of Engineering Studies Master of Teaching in Secondary Education https://www.uts.edu.au/future-students/find-a-course/bachelor-engineering-studies-master-teaching-secondary-education https://www.youtube.com/watchv=KqV7bhie5WA
● Choose Rural: https://teach.nsw.edu.au/find-teaching-jobs/choose-rural/benefits-and-incentives
● Get paid to study: https://www.teach.nsw.edu.au/getpaidtostudy
A new Trade to Teach Internship Program pilot provides a supported pathway into teaching for tradespeople who want to become Industrial Technology and Design (ITD) teachers. The new pilot from the Queensland Department of Education offers:
Applications open on 12 September and remain open until 9 October 2022, so don’t delay.
● James Cook University, Bachelor of Education (Secondary): https://www.jcu.edu.au/courses/bachelor-of-education-secondary
○ James Cook University, Bachelor of Education (Secondary) Admission requirements: https://www.jcu.edu.au/course-and-subject-handbook/courses/undergraduate-courses/bachelor-of-education-secondary
● James Cook University, Masters of Teaching and Learning (Secondary): https://www.jcu.edu.au/courses/master-of-teaching-and-learning-secondary
○ James Cook University, Masters of Teaching and Learning (Secondary) admission requirements: https://www.jcu.edu.au/course-and-subject-handbook/courses/postgraduate-courses/master-of-teaching-and-learning-secondary
● https://www.usq.edu.au/handbook/current/education/BSED.html#specific.major.study5 (Springfield and Toowoomba campuses)\
● https://www.griffith.edu.au/study/degrees/bachelor-of-education-1567 (Design and Technology as a second teaching area – Gold Coast Campus)
● https://www.cqu.edu.au/courses/bachelor-of-education-secondary (Industrial Technology and Design – Mackay Campus)
● Making a Career Change to Teaching webinar on Monday 13 June 2022 5:00pm to 6:00pm: https://www.cqu.edu.au/events/event-items/information-session/trade-to-teach-webinar
● Scholarships and grants: https://teach.qld.gov.au/scholarships-and-grants
● Master of Teaching (Secondary) https://www.swinburneonline.edu.au/online-courses/education/master-teaching-secondary?gclid=CjwKCAjw_o-HBhAsEiwANqYhpwi-NxxF-q7aXquXkqS_r8OZS3IV5MoAiL21U56EXOXdRy1N-x2CgxoCl3sQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
● Master of Teaching (Secondary Education)
● Targeted initiative to attract more teachers:
● Innovative Initial Teacher Education Programs: https://www2.education.vic.gov.au/pal/innovative-ite-programs/print-all
● Design And Technology Education Major https://www.ecu.edu.au/degrees/courses/bachelor-of-education-secondary/unitset?id=MABUTO&crsCd=Y68
● Leap Program https://www.education.wa.edu.au/leap-program
● Design And Technology Education Major https://www.flinders.edu.au/study/courses/bachelor-design-technology-innovation
UPDATED 5th June 2022 – Compiled by: https://dattaaustralia.com/
This year, Education at James Cook University has introduced new teaching areas to the Bachelor of Education (Secondary): Industrial Technologies I Design (ITD), and Food Technologies & Design (FTD). As well as the regular pathways into the degree, there are industry-entry options for qualified and experienced tradespeople.
Qualified and experienced tradespeople can gain the equivalent of 1-year of credit towards a 4-year B.Ed. The industry entry ITD or FTD teaching areas are paired with a Vocational Education and Training (VET) Specialisation, so that graduates are qualified to teach subjects in Years 7-12, including VET qualifications offered in schools.
Credit for the ITD/FTD–VET Specialisation is granted for a relevant trade qualification plus a minimum of three years of relevant industry experience (post training), and a TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training & Assessment. The Cert. IV TAE is not required as a pre-requisite to the degree, but it must be completed as a requirement to graduate. Please see the attached flyer for more information.
Most units can be completed online in the industry-entry pathway, to enable greater flexibility. Some on-campus learning takes place in Townsville or Cairns.
A pathway is also available for school-leavers and tradespeople without industry experience, who are interested in teaching ITD or FTD. These options qualify graduates to teach relevant subjects in Years 7-12, including General and Applied subjects in senior secondary.
ITD is available as a first teaching area that can be paired with a second teaching area of interest from the Course Handbook. For example, ITD–Digital Technologies; ITD–Business. 12CP of credit (4 units of study) is available for a relevant trade qualification (Apprenticeship and Trade Certificate III) in Fitting and Turning/Machining, Metals Engineering, Carpentry, Joinery, or related areas. 3CP of credit (one unit of study) is available a relevant VET qualification (e.g., Cert. I in Construction; Cert. II in Construction Pathways; Cert. II in Engineering Pathways; Cert. II in Furniture Making Pathways).
FTD is available as a second teaching area that can be paired with a first teaching area of interest. For example, Business–FTD; Biology–FTD. The second teaching area includes four FTD units, offered by way of cross-institutional study via USQ.
Study is completed via a blended mode, with a combination of online and on-campus learning.
You can find out more about the B.Ed. (Secondary) teaching areas at JCU via the Course Handbook (click on the ‘Handbook’ drop-down menu).
Refer to the ‘Pathways to JCU’ drop-down menu if you are not a recent school-leaver.
School-leavers can apply via QTAC (‘How to apply’ drop-down menu).
Direct entry to the B.Ed. is also available with a Cert. III in Education Support (course pre-requisites still apply).
If you have specific questions about the new teaching areas, email: Louisa.Tomas@jcu.edu.au.